Thursday, January 30, 2014

Saying Goodbye Is So Hard to Do...

The young adult collection at FPL has grown by leaps and bounds the last 6 1/2 years that I have been lucky enough to be in charge of it.  The materials are getting checked out a lot more and the Teen Zone space itself has become more inviting and comfortable for teens to hang out in.  But with all this growth, I also experience overcrowding and dare I say it...too many books for the limited space I have.

So I try to periodically, at least once a year, weed the section.  This means that I take a look at the books that have not been checked out for a few years.  There are a lot of things I take into consideration when I look at these books and decide whether or not to get rid of them (I won't bore you with the details), but some books I just cannot decide whether to get rid of or keep.  That is where YOU come in.

Right now in the Teen Zone area, there are two displays of books that will be deleted from the teen collection forever unless you come and check them out! Now, maybe you will look at them and nothing sounds even remotely interesting to you and you will think, "Please get rid of these!".  But maybe you will find a diamond in the rough, a jewel of a book that you would never have picked up before because it was hidden amongst all the other newer books in the teen section.

So when you are in the Teen Zone the next time you are in the library, take a look at those unloved books that are marked for deletion, pick one up, check it out and give it the chance to see the light of another day.

Miss Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment